Looking down into Kilauea Iki Crater.
Roughly the same view but better
lighting conditions than on
p. 33
This is the trail down.  It was quite
steep in places with a number of
switchbacks (see map).
And this is what it looks like at the
bottom of the trail, entering the crater
Looking toward the Pu'u Pua'i
where I took pictures of the
rainbow's end
This is roughly where the rainbow
ended.  Doesn't look too promising
does it?
One of the many steam vents.  You could see
the steam from a distance but as you got
closer it was harder and harder to see.
If you look down into one of these
vents, it's just a hole - there's no lava
or anything down there.
This is where I saw people the last time
see page 33)
I don't know what caused this.
Looking back along the trail.  I came
down that steep slope directly ahead.
There's people up there on the Pu'u
Pua'i Overlook
I love my zoom!
Looking back
Looking back from further along the
Looking forward.  I'll be climbing out of
the crater up there.
Looking back
Looking forward
Zoom.  Hi!
Looking back as I start up out of the
Looking back down into the crater from
about halfway up
The trail ahead
The trail ahead
Today I did some hiking around Kilauea that I've wanted to do ever since the day I saw people in the bottom of Kilauea Iki crater (page 33).  I
started out at around 11:00 in the morning from the parking lot for the
Thurston Lava Tube (far right of the map above) on the Kilauea Iki
.  I got about a half mile down the trail when I realized I was going the wrong way (the tick mark near Kilauea Iki Overlook).  I turned
around and picked up the trail heading the other way.  So before I even started, I'd already walked a mile!  I've marked on the map the path I
took.  Where I've noted "Missed this turn", I had intended to take the trail back to where the car was parked.  But instead I ended up climbing
all the way up to the
Volcano House where I got a large root beer at the bar and watched Monday Night Football live on TV.  It was 4:00 in
the afternoon.  I was completely beat.  I realized, however, that it was getting late and I didn't want to get stuck in the woods in the dark and I
still had a little over two miles to go, so I headed back on legs of spaghetti and took a brisk, waddling walk back to the car.  I made this trip
alone because Robin's been unable to hike lately.  It's very strange doing something like this by myself - walking through "hell" alone!
Photos 2, page 17
Monday, October 9, 2006
Hiking Kilauea Trails